Wednesday, November 2, 2011

035: Debrief

Mid-thirties, maybe.  His face is loose with the hanging flesh left after sudden weight lose.  A ragged, half-healed scar start above his right eye before moving off to his hair line.  His fatigues are ragged and dirty with large tear down the right leg.  On his left foot is a over-large boot stuffed with rags.  On the right a sneaker.  Despite the wear he still carries himself with strength.

"Thank you, ma'am.  Gunnery Sergeant Larry Walters.  I'm ranking NCO. 

Could you repeat that, ma'am?  My hearing isn't what it was.  Too much time with the arty.

Yes, after the encirclement we fell back into Kalisz.  We held them for three long days.  By the night of the third we were out of everything; food, ammo, hell, hope too.  We were surrounded on three sides by Russians and the Poles were to our north.  We weren't getting out and they tightened the ring every day.

The Major decided it was time to talk to one of them.  He went out to the Poles and negotiated our surrender.  Reckon it kept us all from being killed.  They seperated out the officers and the women.  I didn't see any of them after that.  Didn't hear anything either.

They took what fancied them off of us.  I doubt more than one in ten still has their issue boots.  The Poles, at least, dumped their rejects back on us so almost everyone is shod.  

We've been worked hard ever since, ma'am.  Graves detail first.  Then farms around Kalisz and Lodz. 

A few men tried to escape.  There were reprisals for that.  Mostly beatings or food held back for a day, not that we were getting much.  A few men were shot out of hand as warnings.  Any escapees they caught were hung, if they hadn't already been shot.

No, ma'am, I counciled them not to try.  I know it is our duty to try to escape.  To continue the fight by any means possible, but not there.  Too many enemies on the ground and we're too closely watched.   

About five days ago they moved us east.  They penny packeted work teams on the way.  Ten here, ten there, we're down fifty.  If you have a map, I can show you were. We learned we were being taken to Lublin, more work details and harvest.

Combat status?  About half of us would be ready with a day's rest, good food and a weapon.  I would only count about half of those as experienced troops.  The rest were support; logistics, drivers, cooks, mechs and techs.  The rest of the group needs more than a day.  We've got casualties; both physical and head cases.

You'll want to watch the drivers of the wagons closely.  They're trustees.  ***Spits***  Except for Joachim and Rodriguez.  I told them to volunteer.  It was as inside as I could get."

*******

He could be someone's grandfather.  Thinning gray hair in a widow's peak.  Neat beard, recently trimmed back.  What could be laugh lines around his eyes.  If they weren't such sad blue things.  Probably the pain from his arm.  Doc tells me he broke his Clavicle and Humerus after he fell from his horse during the ambush.  This, then, was their commanding officer.  Doesn't speak a lick of English.  I need Leo to translate.

"Jasha Gurin, Mladshiy leytenant (2nd Lt, he's a butterbar -- Leo)

I was in command of the detachment.  Please, Kapitan, how are my boys?

Yes, most of them were, boys, and a few old men.  All they could spare to take the Americans back east.

No, I think no else wanted to do it, so it was given to us.  We're all remnants or replacements.

Yes, I was a carpenter before my unit got called up.  It was a mobilization-only division.  Long gone now.  We're replacements now.

Yes, we're expected in two days at Camp 4-4.  At least I've been told we're expected.  There was a radio and truck battery in one of the wagons.  I was instructed to make contact well clear of their perimeter.  I was to leave as many of my prisoners as required, pick-up any prisoners as required, and head to Lublin the next day.

We were issued sufficient food to get there and take a hundred prisoners on to Lublin in the next four days.  I was not authorized to requisition additional food from the camp.  I have no details on the camp personnel or security arrangements.

I understand.  If you have any questions about Kalisz or Lodz you just have to ask.

Thank you. Kapitan, may I see my boys now?"

No comments:

Post a Comment