Monday, June 25, 2012

078: Homecoming

Ed's Journal, November 27th, 2000

If I ever meet the men responsible for ordering a North Atlantic crossing in late November I don't know if I'll thank or strangle them.  Eleven days of high seas misery.  I spent most of it on my back or over a rail.  I've traveled by ship before, but this was unforgivably harsh.

Leo rode it out well and Cap left me in his tender care.  God, if I hear one more, "Dat looks like our breakfast." or "I saved your lunch, you threw it up on deck."  I will scream and leap.

The Norfolk docks looked like many places we'd seen in Europe.  Damage from overpressure was clear.  There had been a nearby strike, but the docks weren't hit.  A small band was playing, badly, as we disembarked and queued up.  Several lines of 'Army Here' and smaller ones for sailors, airmen, foreign service, and the almighty Corps.  Cap told us all to link up after processing if we could before heading off to her line with a few of the men.  Wish Gunny could have had her back.

We didn't wait long before a few MPs showed looking for Cap.  They were serious bidness with their clean uniforms, black box guns, MACs if you're curious, and attitude.  They shanghaied Doc, Alpha, and me before going after her and then Leo. 

Then I got to meet a general!

Paterson

He's smaller than I expected.  That doesn't take away from the strength of his grip or voice as he shakes my hand.  "Captain Paterson, I am so sorry I could not meet with you or your people in Europe.  I want to personally thank you, thank all your team, for their service and bravery in the recovery and return of RESET.  I have placed commendations in all your jackets and nominated you for awards for valor."

He reaches into his pocket.  "As commanding officer of United States forces in Europe I hereby promote you to Major."  His hands quickly change my rank tabs.  "I have also transferred you from Engineers to Infantry.  All marines are riflemen first.  This makes official the capacity you've already been operating in.  I've nominated you for the Bronze Star with Valor for actions in Warsaw."

He moves down our short line.  "Captain Padgorny, As you know, all foreign nationals serving with US forces are to be granted citizenship pending verification of service.  I am proud to accept you as an American citizen.  You are hereby commissioned in the Army with your current rank of Captain.  Your previous service will count towards seniority and benefits due to a US officer.  I have nominated you for the Silver Star for actions on the Vistula River and the Bronze Star with Valor for actions in Warsaw.  Thank you."

Leo's in shock as the general turns from him.  I give him an encouraging wink.  He gives a short, curt nod back.  I figure we're in for it.  Brass wouldn't be buttering us up if they intended to let us go.

Doc and Ed are nominated for Bronze Stars.  Alphabit, for reasons known only to the heavens and my reports, is commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant and standing for the Bronze Star with Valor.

"I understand Corporal Chilson could not be found in time for this meeting."  If I know Moonie, he's halfway to Mud Fork by now.

The general proceeds to tell us how bad the situation is stateside and how, why yes, we are going to be retained in service.  My orders are to form a platoon with support elements.  I am given priority to jump the queue and cherry pick from my former command.  No later than the day after tomorrow we are to board transport for the Jersey shore and report to Fort Dix.  There supply and transportation will be provided for our mission in Manhattan.

"Your mission is to find the Federal Gold Reserves.  It was lost in rioting during transfer to Fort Dix somewhere on Manhattan Island.  The 78th Infantry has been contacted by a survivor of the riot and they need experienced personnel to conduct search operations.  I've been told the gold is desperately needed for purposes of trade with the few nations still engaging in it.  No one's giving out credit right now."  Eighty odd tons in a cube little more than 3 feet across, right.

"Eight previous teams have landed on the island.  Once placed ashore, all contact was lost, and they never returned.  Yours will be the largest attempt to date since the 78th withdrew from NYC.  As cover for your operation you'll be conducting the 2000 Census, extending medical support to the locals, conducting and registering salvage operations, and most importantly, not getting killed.  The 78th will continue to supply logistical support for however long your mission takes.  Any questions?" 

The answer to that should be no and thank you, sir.  "Are you expecting us to locate and transport the gold?"

"No, find the location and report back to DIA in Fort Dix.  They'll handle the rest."

He entertains a few more questions, but it's clear this is all he knows, maybe anyone knows.  He's just back from Europe like the rest of us.

He dismisses the rest of the team and addresses me.  "If I had my way, you'd be looking into the Warsaw situation.  There have been more than one substantiated report of strange encounters in Europe.  Yours is one of the few that produced hard evidence.  This operation came with your name on them.  I don't like the implication.  Keep your eyes open and bring your command back."


Ed's Journal, November 28th, 2000

We're on hyper alert this evening.  Leo, Sawicki, and I spent the day arguing with the QM and abusing the Cap's authority.  Cap went headhunting.  Doc plundered the base infirmary. 

On her way back the good Major Jones told her guard to get lost.  They left her there.  Alone.  He pulled a pistol and told her she was coming with him for further 'interrogation'.  Doc did the only sensible thing she could.  She threw her box of supplies at him and ran off screaming "murder, pillage, rape!" all the way home.  Got the MPs attention.  She gave them a description and told them he'd attempted to assault her.  I'm not holding out any hope of him being found. 

Rutkowski's been appointed her bodyguard.  He should be resistant to jedi mind tricks.  The guys eventually recalled leaving her, but insisted or the longest time they'd been on their own. 

Welcome home, boys.













No comments:

Post a Comment