Wednesday, August 15, 2012

088: The OP

Paterson, December 24th

The walk out to Inwood Park and the Henry Hudson Bridge is a bracing change from two days underground.  The wind blows off the river from the north bringing a clear, clean scent.  The clouds have parted and the sun glitters off the new fallen snow.  It is a beautiful afternoon.

Our OP was set back in the woods with a good view of the bridge.  The dugout's cover has been ripped away and the ground trampled.  Nothing to find there so we circle out. 

About two hundred feet to the east I find a clean track in a hollow.  Maybe a size 8, but deep with four clawed toes.  Yeah, more confirmation.  The track extends a short way to the east and south before petering out.  We're not trailing it home tonight.

We continue round.

Doc finds a bloody bird about a hundred feet from the tollbooths on the roadway.  She looks the half-eaten carcass over before prodding it.  "These look like human tooth marks.  And it's warm."

"Don't look around," Leo murmurs.  "We're being watched."

He points off into the woods to the west.  "Follow my arm.  Now, look out of the corner of your eye at the middle tollbooth.  Do you see him?"

Easier said than done.  "Yeah, I think so.  I don't see any weapons."

"Could be below the window.  You two stay here and keep his attention.  I'll head west and circle behind."

"Don't keep us waiting Leo."

He heads off.  Doc and I share a thermos while trying not to stare.  Doc tells me she didn't sign on to be a goat.

"I never signed on Doc.  I got drafted."

"Yeah, right.  Me too." 

A masculine screech comes from the tollbooth.  Leo reached in from the opposite side and got a handful of rags.  The man turned and pummeled wildly.  Doc and I break into a sprint.

Leo's catching fists against his helmet and vest as he gets a solid grip on our watcher.  He heaves him from the booth onto the pavement.  Breathless he tries to rise as Leo powers into his back crushing him back to the ground.  They scuffle briefly before Leo gains a compliance lock on him.  I pass over some cord and let Leo finish.  I've been deloused enough this week.

The man's a mess and continues to struggle even while bound.  His cries are unintelligible.  Not another one.  Leo loops another length of cord around his neck and demonstrates his slip knot.  He settles.  Leo hands me the line.

"I check the booth."

We wait.  He isn't long.  "Got a nest in there.  Some bones from birds.  No bodily waste.  He's only been here a few days I think, week tops."

"We'll question him at home." I tell them.  "Let's go."

No comments:

Post a Comment