Thursday, September 8, 2011

010: Wake Up

Alphabit:

Cold, so cold.  I try to curl around into a tight ball.  Cold.  And wet.  Aches all over.  I'm on the ground.  Try to move and damn it hurts.  Have I been shot?

Look, look around.  My eyes are gummed shut.  Rubbing hurts.  Light is a spike right through my head.  

I'm moving so slow.  Try again with eyes covered.  Just let a little of the light through.  So bright.  Slowly starts to focus.  I'm in a forest.  The truck and jeep in a clearing sitting in the mud.  Yes, we stopped here when it started to storm.

Sit up, keep the eyes covered.  Leo and Lou was on watch..  There. Leo's face down in the muck.  God help us, has he drowned?

My weapon.  In the puddle I collapsed beside.  Get it.  Use it to lever myself up.  Whole body aches.  Stagger over to Leo.  Lou's laid out on the far side of the clearing near the road.  Is everybody down?  Leo's making bubbling noises.  Not dead yet.

I need to kneel and use both hands to roll him.  He groans.  Start shaking him.  "Up, get up."  Groans some more.  Bats weakly at me.  "Get up now."

"Fuck."  He rolls over and coughs.  "Gah, fucking shit."  Spits out muck.  "You shit in my mouth."

"Thank god, I'd thought you'd drowned."

Leo props up on one arm.  Shades his eyes with the other hand.  "What did I drink?"  His eyes are black, the iris dilated all the way open.

"Nothing, we're all out."

"Some party.  Da, nyet.  I no remember it."

I grab his shoulder give it a shake.  "Focus."  I point.  "See to Lou."

"I'll try and wake the Captain."

No comments:

Post a Comment