Sunday, April 29, 2012

059: Going Active

Moon-Pie - Praga, September 30th, 2000

It was an effort getting in without being seen.  But, hey, that's what I do.  Suckers been in camp since '97.  They're rusty.

The major took J-boy off to the side to get his version before talking with me.  I have, what did she say, 'powers plenipotentiary' to negotiate with the man.  Means she's trusting me to cut a deal and she'll follow whatever I decide.  Damn, I can really fuck her over hard!  Pity I'm such a nice guy.

Major finishes with J-boy.  Decides I'm worth a bother.  I give him 'the plan'.  Downstream run, amphibious landing, quick march overland to attack from the flanks.  We'll need a few trusted men to guide in the attack columns and turn a blind eye towards your advance team.  It's a real Marine plan.  Sniff, Captain's growing up. 

Major Emowitz has me walk through it three times.  I know he's got artilleryman's ear, but come on.  Needs to keep me busy while he thinks.  Finally, he lets me know I won't get shot today, "Ok, we can work with this.  What does she have planned for after."

I tell him, "Short story, Major.  We're heading back upstream to Krakow.  Hold out for the winter.  Head back to Germany in the spring or summer.  Sooner if a good opportunity arrives."

"And how will she be handling command?"

I know she's told J-boy what to tell him.  I get to play parrot.  "She's not relinquishing command to you.  She's got good reasons.  The locals trust, Krakow contacts, winter quarters for us, and brass balls.  What else is there to know?"

He sighs, "I'm not going to argue the point.  You can tell her.  Tell her, I'm going to consider this a rescue op.  When Delta swoops in and grabs the hostage, the hostage doesn't take command, even if he's a general officer.  The problem is.  Hell, two problems.  First, she can't step into my boots.  I'll follow her lead, no questions, but I know these men.  Both the good ones and the problems.  She needs me here and they'll react poorly to having a Captain of Engineers ordering them about.  Second, if we do settle down for the winter, we're going to have pressure to reorganize and integrate.  I'm chief heavy.  You're Indian heavy, right?  Some of these chiefs have been sitting things out since day 2.  They want another shot at command and a crack at Ivan."

Man's not done talking.  I give him the encouraging nod.

"She needs to know it isn't me.  I'll be doing all I can to contain it, but damn if I know if I can."

There.  He's done.  "Major, sounds about what she wants.  You'll stay in charge of your men.  She'll stay in charge of hers.  You'll both be cooperating on the next set of moves.  She wants to see everyone home.  Even the knuckleheads."

He chuckles.  "Some of those knuckleheads out rank her."  


"They're not going to know what hit them."  I smile.  "Like a force of fucking nature."


---------------------------------------------------


Captain Paterson, October 1st, 2000

We've made our loud, teary goodbyes.  The Krowola chugs away downstream.   We've got some thirty men visible manning our weapons or preforming deck duties.  The others, Russians and Poles, hunker in the bottom of the barge.  They've been boarding since the early hours.  Five men loading "supplies", three or four come off.  Run the groups one right along side of the others.  We had the full compliment aboard by mid-afternoon.

We took sporadic small arms fire as we transited Warsaw.  The men hunkered down behind sandbags.  Our macghinegun's sprayed suppression fire.  Usually  the shot did not repeat.  Since we're riding the center of the Wistuala it would take a stroke of abysmal luck for anyone to get hurt.  Our luck stayed good.

Five kilometers downstream from the ruins we maneuvered close to shore.  Tadeuz and Uller taking soundings from the barge bow and starboard side.  We can't get close enough to wade.  Even though the barge is lightly loaded her draft still exceeds two meters.  Nobody, except Alphabit, wants to swim it.  We have two small inflatables and a captured powerboat.  Hours to offload and transfer to shore, two hours to Krakow, more to thread our way through the rubble.  Damn, I don't like swimming.

A security team takes the boats to shore.  Guidelines trail behind.  On their return we load them down with kit bags, small arms and our other necessaries.  Alphabit volunteers to show the others how it's done.  Into the drink, grab a line, and hand over hand to where he can wade.  I tell the others to keep their hands on the line at all times.  Three at a time, one to a line, the next jump as soon as the first clear out.  Got the 'affirmative's', 'yes ma'am's', and 'da's' out of the way.  I'm in the first wave.

God damned cold!

I'll make a note when my teeth stop chattering, do not swim in October.  In Poland.


I'm gathering my gear and doing my best to keep warm.  Five plus klicks will help with that.  Might even be dry at the end.  I do my best to be the cheerful ass-kicker.  They need an example.  After all, if she can do it, a man can.  I'll use that against them.

Leo and our best scouts take point.  Columns for behind them.  I join the lead elements.  I use the M60 as a giant baton.  With a barked "Oorah!" I use it to wave the columns forward.  Back to Warsaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment