Tuesday, May 1, 2012

060: Night Action

Alphabit, October 1st, 2000

Finally back in.  Had to wring her arm some, but I'm not pulling guard duty on creepy box tonight.  I want this.  Got a sackful of explosives, the M-16, the Mak, and my hatchet.  One way or another some bastards going to die.

We met our guides as promised.  Cap Kat asked about their minders.  J-boy gestured off into the rubble.  Two stripped bodies hidden away.  I complimented him on his new boots.

They were split to guide the columns.  The Americans here all have a smattering of Polish and Russian so communication won't be a problem.  We're getting a ten minute lead time.  Each column will radio check once in position.  Our man Ed is wired in.  He'll let us know.

J-boy tells us there are local patrols from the pirate shore parties.  They more used to chasing down civilians and beating on their own than looking for infiltrators.  They make ample use of lights, flashes and torches.  They're like lighthouses in the night, we steer clear of the rocks.

The HQ is a small house made of stone, excavated from the rubble, built into the scree.  J-boy reports its mainly one big room with partitions at the back for 'entertainment'.  There's a small room for the commander's privacy and a little alcove with door and vent for the night soils.  They've gun loops on the three sides and one big, sturdy door.  I got the answer for that. 

Hell, I'd tried to talk Cap into letting me just take the whole place down.  I used to do that in the before.  I like that work.  She reminded me of the 'entertainment'.  Yeah, I'd feel like a right shit if I did that.  But she promised me the door.  We've long run out of concussion grenades, so I've got a little one improvised out of a fistful of plastic and one of our remote dets.  It'll do.

Ed gives us the sign.  All checks made.  We're go.

Two guards, each on opposite corners of the front of the house.  Kat checks with Ed.  Columns have reached position.  Its on us now.

Leo passes the MP5 over to Moonie, tells him to take the far one.  He'll take the close.  Draws his knife.  Quiet as a church mouse.  Lethal as a serpent.  No St. Patrick's here.  The first goes down to his blade.  The second to the chatter of an open bolt.  We rush the building.  Doc and Ed take the near side gun loops.  Cap and Moonie get the far side.  J-boy stands look out with his new AK and boots.  Leo and I have the door. 

I stifle the urge to whistle while I work.  I loving solving problems.  This one is easier than the hubcap claymores, but I'll get to see the results.  Fun, fun, fun.  Ready?  I pitch my voice to carry round the corners, "Cover!"

Four calls back, "Covered."  click-BAM!  Door goes down.  Leo tosses my concussion bomblet through the breach.  Screams and cries of alarm start to rise from within.  Trigger two, overpressure pushes around the door frame.  Screams and moans accompany Leo and I through the breach.  Leo clears the commander's room.  I take the main one.  Right and left gun barrels poke through the walls.  I ignore them, they're the resort if I fail.  I don't.

Leo joins me.  Together we finish the last of them men mewling on the floor.  As we move to sweep the partitions shots ring out from the one in the left hand corner.  Blind fire into the wall.  I take the adjacent one.  Poor woman looks at me with fear filled eyes.  Fucking fuckers tied her to the bed.  Finger to lips, Mak in the other hand, I step around her to peer over the partition.  Fucker's in the corner, pistol in hand, with a woman in his lap.  He's covering the doorway. 

Leo's calling out in Polish, "Surrender and you won't be hurt."  I aim.  He's screwing up to reply when I put one through his crown.  The woman screams and pulls away from his limp grip.  I make sure of him with two more to the torso.  I would have enjoyed taking my time. 

"Sorry, Ms."  I leave my roommate.  "Doc, we've got ladies!"  They won't want to see me or any men again for awhile.

Cap orders Doc, Ed and J-boy to hold the HQ.  Take anyone who comes looking for orders.  Across the fields the first shots are being fired.  Someone quick on the mortar's sends up an ILLUM round.  I swap out for a fresh mag in both the M-16 and the Mak.  Cap's ordering us out.

We're charging across the fields.  I can't help it.  I scream "Faugh a Ballagh!"  Clear the way!

Up on the wall they're manhandling a MG about.  Down in the fields they're trying to form a line and hold our Russian friends off.  Cap finds a remaining bit of uncleared wall to prop her 60 on.  She begins to lay down the smack while Leo and I charge across the open ground.

Rounds are flying everywhere.  I can hear their whine as they pass.  Feel the pluck of something against my uniform.  I am untouchable!  Leo drops to one knee engaging the foe.  I power on, M16 bouncing on the strap, as I prep a grenade.

The mortar crews looks up as I race, shouting, out of the field.  The grenade flies true in the pit.  I'm laughing as they scramble out.  The M16 barks in my hands.  I feel Leo close up beside.  Together we finish the crew.

Above us the MG crew dances as Cap's rounds land home.  The fragile defensive line cracks under the Russian assault.  I pick up their chant, "Hurrah!"  Leo puts his hands into the air as the first Russians approach.  He's talking really fast in his native tongue.  The guns pointed out way waver.  The troops pass in pursuit of the pirates bastards.  I'm smiling.

Leo trying to tell me something.  What's he pissed for?  I laugh, "Let's do that again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment