Sunday, May 20, 2012

069: Going Home

Paterson, October 17th, 2000

Rataj was ignorant of the changing situation.  He'd been too involved with shutting down and selling out his property in Krakow to pay attention to any rumors.  His face split into a broad smile when I told him of our news and recent turn of fortune.  He readily agreed.  The Wistula Krowola could sail by the 20th.  It would probably take that long to scare up the crew, especially Tadeuz, from where they had hidden themselves to enjoy a well deserved rest and reward.  If all else failed there was himself and Iosef, who lived on the Krowola, to form a scratch crew with us for strong backs and hands.  It would take us 7 days to reach a landing to within walking distance of the train.  That counted a one day stop in Warsaw for us to stretch our legs and make our goodbyes. 

Ed pestered me mightily on the trip back.  Even after our return we'd been running so fast we'd had no time to relax.  Alphabit and him wanted to shop and spend some of their ill gotten gains.  Tomorrow was Wednesday, a market day, I promised the boys a day to themselves while I hunted us food for the trip.  We had armor to sell.  The BMP, first, then the OTs and other wheels.  The tank would travel downstream and onto a flatbed if it could fit.

That night Emowitz and I once again gathered the men.  We told them circumstances had changed.  We had transport.  Martens, our mysterious stranger, gave them the briefing on the train.  We let the excited response persist for a few minutes before Emowitz bellowed them down.  We went over the dangers again.  The chance that something had happened to the train or would happen on the trip.  We'd likely have to fight our way out of Poland.  And if something happened, we'd be stuck far from Krakow with little food and no transport.  It was one very chancy roll of the dice and no one would be looked down upon if they decided not to risk it and stay. 

Gunny Walters shouted for attention.  He had the some men help him up and over to us.  He gave me a steely eyed stare and a firm handshake.  In his best DI voice he addressed the assembly.  "I'm staying.  Captain's right, this is a low odds run.  If you're thinking on staying too know that I'm going to be here to run this compound and haul your sorry asses out of trouble.  I'm going to be in the next room over.  Come along if you're staying."

A slow drip left in his wake.  Faces I'd left in Krakow when I'd gone downriver.  They'd taken wives in our absence, put down their roots.  Others, a few from the Major's POW company, sick, infirm, or frightened. The rest we gave the night to think it over.

Will, Arlan and I stayed up late into the night.  We drank local brew and kept the doors open for the men who had questions.  Many, many questions. 

Paterson, October 18th, 2000

Two hundred and eighty-seven will be going home.  Ninety-seven made the hardest call they'd ever had and decided to stay.

I took a fire team for security and made my way up to the castle to speak with my mutual acquaintance Lt. Adom.  He was intrigued with my offer of armor for food.  He pulled a pair of mechanics off duty and went with us on an inspection tour.  We talked as the techs clambered over the armor.

"So, Captain  Kat, why us?  Why not them?"  He gestured negligently at the ORMO security post.

"We don't get along that well," I told him.  "They're in it for the shakedown."

"They do that part well enough."

He spoke with the techs after the inspection.  As they took him around, pointing out details complementary and derogatory, a UAZ pulled up.  An ORMO Captain, by his tabs, leaped out and got into a screaming row with Adom.  Adom gave as good as he got before pushing past.  "The BMP, eleven tons."

I countered at twenty.  We worked out way to fifteen.  The ORMO officer, furious at being ignored, wormed his way between us and tried to poke me in the chest.  Very wrong move.

I'd spent years down in South America before the war teaching sexist miners their manners regarding women.  I turned that experience on him now.  I caught his hand and gave it a twist. "I am talking to the man.  If the ORMO wishes to make a bid it starts at thirty tons."  I shoved him away.  "Do you wish to bid?"

From the ground he glared.  "Warta is not to have armor.  You cannot sell to him."

"No," Adom replied.  "We gave you what we had to aid the mutual defense of the city.  There is nothing between us regarding future acquisitions."  ORMO sputtered back.

"No bid then.  Get the fuck out."

He did to the jeering of the watch. 

"Fifteen it is Adom."  Nine hundred kilos a day, 287 men, roughly 17 days.  Oh, yes, quite a deal.

--------------------------------------

I should not let my boys loose on the town.  Alphabit brought back swords.  Crappy ceremonial sabers for Doc, Emowitz, and I.  He presented his gifts with a serious little lecture. 

"No officer is fully dressed without a sword.  With this no one will be able to accuse you of being any less than a proper military officer." 

It'd break his heart if I threw it out.  Fortunately, Emowitz informed him with equal seriousness, "Thank you, but until we get out of the field we'll have to keep this stowed away properly.  We don't want to get singled out by a sniper."

He took that as a proper precaution and went back to tend to Rex.  The cat's been inseparable since we returned.  Doc's speculated on how, maybe, the cat may have been affected as well.  I told her I wouldn't stand in her way or in Alphabit's way either after she was done.  Doc dropped thread of thought quickly.

-----------------------------------

I put a heavy footlocker beside Gunny and took myself a seat.  He was stretched out on his sickbed.  I noticed yet another ceremonial saber against his leg.

"You didn't have to medically invalid yourself out.  I'd carry you myself if you needed it."

He grinned back.  "I didn't.  These boys need a strong hand on the tiller.  Whether down in bed or up and about, I'll be that.  I'll keep them safe."

"I know you will.  That's why I brought this."  I slap the locker.  "I've told you about the Madonna?  This something more than half the gold we have left from that incident and a good chunk of Krakow script.  You keep an eye on this.  Use it as needed."

"Understood.  You know, Lt. Caruthers is the highest ranker staying behind.  You're not going behind his back."

"Never, he's a good logistical officer and he's got got the balance of the script for food and fuel this winter.  This is, a gift, from one marine to another.  You'll have it as you need it.  Semper fi."

"Always, Captain."

"Now, there's also letters in there.  One to Filipowitz in Raciborz.  He may have appointed himself King by the time you need it, but he'll still owe me one.  If things get too hot here, it is one way to go.  Another's to Warsaw, they owe you personally and us collectively."

"Captain, I got it in hand."  He pats his blade.

"Alphabit got you one too.  Caruthers going to be striding around with one on his hip as well."

"No, Alphabit told me he was only leaving it with officers in charge."  He drew the blade and handed it over.  It had heft, an edge, and a well worn handle.  The real deal.  "Cossack cavalry saber.  NCOs count as real officers in his world."

I gave him his sword back respectfully, "I think he's telling you, in his own twisted way, that your in charge and you have the means to enforce it."

"Won't come to that."

"Anything you'll be wanting before we go?"

"Just one.  I'm giving you four years.  If your not back by then to pick us up.  I'm coming after you.  You let those rear echelon weenies know we're not deserting or abandoning our country.  We need to stay so you can make it back.  I'm overseeing operations."

"I won't let them tar you with that.  I promise, somehow, we'll get you out."  He's got 73 effective, 20 physical casualties, and three mentals.  I'm being weak letting them 'volunteer' to stay.

"I think you got some other fellas to visit.  I'll leave you to it.  Semper fi, captain."

I salute him before I leave.  Semper fi.

Paterson, October 21st, 2000

I negotiated passage of the Krowola upstream to Krakow.  We loaded directly from food warehouses on the river shore and embarked our troops.  The tank waited a few kilometers downstream at Nowy Hut.  Spirits are high.  As the Krowola slipped her moors some wag on the deck started to shout out

First to fight for the right,
And to build the Nation’s might,
And The Army Goes Rolling Along
Proud of all we have done,
Fighting till the battle’s won,
And the Army Goes Rolling Along.


Krakow's docks echoed to the refrain as the company picked it up.

Then it's Hi! Hi! Hey!
The Army's on its way.
Count off the cadence loud and strong
For where e’er we go,
You will always know
That The Army Goes Rolling Along.

Emowitz clasped me around the shoulders, "Anchors Aweigh would be more appropriate.  I'll just say this, morale is high."
 


No comments:

Post a Comment