Wednesday, May 9, 2012

065: Flashbacks

Paterson in Warsaw, October 3rd, 2000


The thing is crushing Alpha.  His legs flailing wildly.  Ed and I pour fire into it's side and back.  The damned thing just soaks it up.  Black blood leaks for cracks in the scales.  Die!  Die!  Why won't you die?

"Paterson, Captain Paterson!"

That thing has my shoulder and the teeth dig in.  I attack, grabbing the limb, and pulling it forward and down to break before fully waking.  I've got Emowitz on the ground with his arm at full extension.  It takes a moment to get back in the driver's seat and let him go.

Ed, up on the scree with his rifle, chortles, "I told you not to touch her."

The major climbs to his feet working the strain out of his shoulder.  "Yes, yes you did." 

I give him a grudging apology.  He waves it away.  "Your man's right.  My fault."  He grins ruefully, "I came as soon as it was light."

If so left at the twilight.  The sun's barely peaking over the horizon as it is. 

"We got hit last night Major.  A raid on my quarters."

"Any casualties?"

"Dead, both our guards and them.  Doc got seriously hit.  She's a tough bird.  Give her time.  My engineering assistant was nearly crushed."

"Crushed?  Is he alright?  Was the structure unstable?"  He looks nervously around at the submerged dwellings.

"Structure's solid.  He's walking.  Medic wrapped his ribs good.  Nope, I just had to have you see what did it before we finish taking it apart."

"See it?  What it?"

"No, no major.  I wouldn't want to ruin your surprise."  Laugh at my little joke.  Choke it down once I note the hysteria rising up in it.  "Stress."

We start walking back towards my quarters.  Not going to ever sleep there again.  Ed scrambles down the slope and follows.  He keeps flicking the selector back and forth.  Little clicks in time with our pace.  Soon they're overcome by the thuds of ax work.

Alphabit has one of the Rat Dogs.  He's working the head off.  Told me he's going to boil it down.  Keep the skull.  Maybe put it over the mantle.  He asked me if I wanted the other one.  I could use it for our Company's standard he'd suggested.  I politely declined.  Maybe he'll take two home.

Rutkowski's finished with the back of the thing.  The skin, split down the spine, and flayed out to the sides.  He looks like he was just a getting ready to flip it over.  The guards stand well back from him.  He's got a knife. 

"What the hell is that?"

"Just wait till we get this brute flipped.  Ed lend me a hand."  I join Rutkowski.  He wipes sweat from his face.  His pits are soaked through.  "Rough work?"

"Yes.  It does not want part.  With the skin."  He breaths heavily.  I wave Alphabit back.  No need to strain himself more.

Together, the three of us wrestle it off it's belly.  Emowitz gags at the sight of it's face.  Bald, gray, wrinkled, from the eyes up it could have been an old man.  Below that.  Not a chance.  No nose.  No structure to hold a nose.  Instead the bones help anchor a tentacle an elephant would be proud of.  Damn thing is over a meter long.

I hold up the end and force the skin back so Emowitz can see.  Two long curved piercing teeth and a ring of inward pointing jagged triangles.  I show Emowitz the details.  The muscles pull them outwards and then let them snap back in.  Whatever went in would be stuck or tear itself apart if it fought off.  "He's not from around here."

"No, no, what is it?"

"Don't know.  It led the last of the Baron's Lieutenants and those dog things directly after us.  Close as I can track, it came up through the sewers."

"Not possible.  The sewers are rat infested.  Hoards of them."

"Take a good look at this,"  I wriggle the tentacle, "and those doggies.  And then check yourself for preconceived notions."  I drop it and stand.  "I need every man to come by here today and get a good eyeful.  I don't want anyone doubting what's real and what isn't.  Cuz they aren't going to believe this at High Command."

Amazing, an officer at a loss for words.  He nods.

"You need to speak with Rutkowski here after his jobs done and the tank crew we captured yesterday.  Just remember this thing when what they say sounds crazed or wrong.  Remember it.  Let me know your conclusions later today."

"Right, Captain.  I'll do that."

"Arlan," I use his first name, "I need everyone to know that something like this exists.  We can't assume it was alone."

Leonid, October 5th, 2000

"You asked for me Comrade General?"

"Please, Leonid, when we are alone you may use Alexi when we are alone."

"I remember."  I nod at Commissar.  "We are not alone."

"Ah, Illya is like a brother to me."  He gathers us both into his arms.  "Tonight, we are family, yes?"

"Yes."

"Of course."

"Now then, let us drink!"

Harsh burning all the way down.  Not the best, not even close, but good enough to light the fire inside.  Relax into the piles of blankets and packs.

"That thing.  Paterson thinks there might be more?"

"So she says.  Can you see there being only one?"

"No.  Illya, you are creative.  We need a name.  Cannot keep calling thing."

"Call it Zver."

"Da, Brute.  Sounds right.  It was wasn't it?"

I rub my shoulder where the Zver clamped down.  The puncture has healed to a pinkish scar.  "Truly a brute.  I hope to never see another.  I don't feel that lucky."

"Drink more my friend.  That will bring you cheer."

"Truth!  That and leaving Warsaw.  I'll be glad to see the last of this place."

"So, you are really leaving?"

"Yes, Alexi, really.  In a day or two.  We've accomplished our mission.  We have our men.  Time to go."

"I had hopes of asking you to stay.  I could use you with me again."

"I will tell you.  Seeing you again, knowing you'd survived, and that we were on the same side in this madness.  It has done much to warm my heart.  I wish I could.  I have a duty here with Kapitan and to these men.  It has been so long since I've used my native tongue for more than hate or anger."  The fumes from the liqueur sting my eyes.  Nothing more.

The General sniffs.  Knocks back his cup.  The fumes, they get to him too.  "I wish you good travels Leonid Vladimirich.  May our paths cross again.  To your health!"

He knocks back the empty cup.  "Illya!  There is a hole in my cup!  My drink has all leaked away."

"Yes, my General,"  Illya smiles as he passes the bottle.  "It is on the top."

Moon Pie, October 6th, 2000

"Captain Stone.  You can take this 'loyalty oath' and wipe your ass with it.  We're outta here.  Come on guys."

"Private, you do not address a superior officer in that manner.  You need to sign this and fall in.  Otherwise, I'll have no choice but to consider you a traitor to..."

Palm to face.  He's down in the dirt before he knows it.  "Shut the fuck up.  One, I'm a god damn Corporal.  Two, you're not in my chain of command.  You got a problem with me, take it up with Paterson, see where that gets you."

"Three," I place my hand on the big .45 in my holster, "you are NOT calling me a traitor.  Are you?"

He shakes his head vigorously.  No.

"Get out."  I give the others my hardest look.  "Anybody want to join Captain CIA?"

J-boy grins, "Nah.  At least not till he cleans his pants."

General laughter.

Alphabit, October 7th, 2000

Captain Paterson found the little can a the back of galley's fridge.  "McGilavery, what the blue hell is this?"

"Just a little snack Cap.  Honest."

"Meat, days old too.  When were you planning on eating it."

"Oh, it's not for me.  I'm saving it for Rex."

"The cat?"

"He's a great mouser Cap.  I'm sure he'd like it."

"Its the..."

"Right.  Off those big rattie things in Warsaw.  Did you forget?"

"Forget.  Forget what?"

"I asked if I could.  You said I could bring a few souvenirs home.  I thought he'd like a taste."

"Er, yes.  Yes, I think I did."

"I still got that second skull if you want it.  Boiled the flesh right off.  Maybe Rataj would like it.  He could put it on the mast.  Would you ask him?"

"Sure, sure.  Look.  Wrap it up.  Make some freezer space.  And label it!  I'll go ask Rataj about that skull.  thing.  Right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment