Thursday, May 17, 2012

068: New Faces, New Plans

Ed's Journal, October 16th, 2000

Somebody talked. Stark to put pressure on us? One of our guy's bed partner? Or maybe a broken transmission caught on short wave? In any case they started knocking on the compound's doors by mid afternoon. That trickle became a flood by evening. We were leaving. So everyone outside said.

Cap tried to see everybody. Give them a fair shake. I got to be the fly on the wall and hear the rejections. "Really, really, you're going to try to convince me you're American with English that broken? Really, you've been in Krakow how long and you're just talking to me now? Really, another refugee from the 5th, you're like the 200th today."

Cap finally lost it. "Tell them all we're staying! I don't want to see another mooch! Let the door hit them on the way out!"

One notable exception to the petitioners was a German Signals team. They'd been attached to 3rd Panzer and found themselves on the wrong side of the lines after Corps hung us out to dry. They still had their commo gear, a semi-functional shortwave, and a UAZ to ship it all in. Bonus points for the UAZ having a half-full tank of gas and a full 20L Jerry. Krauts struck it good. Their leader, a Lt Shultz, was disappointed to hear we weren't leaving until next year, but asked for a spot so they could ride home with us when the time came. Cap has some plans and a few more skilled electricians are a plus. Heh.

 Paterson, October 17th, 2000

"Cap, front door says they have someone for you."

"Again? Ed, didn't they get the message the first time. I don't need another sob story. I got enough of my own."

"He knows your name." Ed's being sly doesn't work well.

"So did everyone else. Kind of getting famous here."

"Served with you." Trying to hide a smile.

"Spit it out. You keep playing around and I'll have you up on the post. 50 lashes. Woosh."

"Captain Martens."

 Damn. "Will Martens?" Ed grins and nods happily. "What are you waiting for?"

Will and I had served together closely during the last hectic week as the 5th fell. we set up crossing, torn them down, built barricades, planted mines, and all the other things needed to keep us alive. He'd been rock solid throughout the ordeal; encouraging, cajoling, and screaming as needed to get the troops working beyond their limits. We'd been separated during the breakout. I'd figured he'd died with the so many of the others. I was glad to be wrong.

 Five minutes later, after the shaking, back slapping, and rib crushing hug, Martens is seated and trying to regain his breath. Ed brings us cups of weak Russian tea. I apologize as it is the best we've got. Martens waves me off with a grin. "Best I've had in some time. God, I'm glad its really you."

 After a grimace and a swallow he lunches into his tale. He'd had the Devil's own luck during the confused fighting as the HQ was overrun. He'd slipped through the cordon, like a seed between fingers, to be spat out to the north-east. He'd spent weeks dodging enemy patrols and making his way north. He'd gathered a few fellow stragglers to him and, eventually, fell in with some friendly locals.

 "I'd been resigned to going native until a Russian cavalry patrol came through the town a few weeks back. They'd told the village headman that the war was ending. The Americans were leaving Europe! I've seen the faces of your men, you know exactly how I felt."

"We found out days ago Will. We're still dealing with it."

He nods in commiseration. "I'd made some close friends with one of the locals. Jan Strazinski used to be a train engineer before retiring in '85 when they mothballed the last of the steam locomotives. He'd done make work for the museum and preservation society. When the war started the Polish government pulled everything they could out of their stashes and dispersed them in the event of a nuclear exchange. Either it was forgotten or those who knew died. Its still there, engine, work car, flatbeds, box cars, the works."

"Where?"

 "You remember that village on the south bank of the Vistula? The one we didn't enter because of the plague warnings? I see you do."

 "Ed! Maps!"

 "This one?" Martens nods. Shit, fuck, damn, and all those other words mother told me to never use. Right there, near where the Vistula turns to the north for the final run into the Baltic, is a train. Shit, damn, fuck.

 "Why are you here instead of leaving?"

 "I have four men, small arms only. There's no way the rails will be intact. I need workers and soldiers. I figured I could find them here in Krakow and still get back in time to get the train moving for Bremerhaven."

 "How many? How fast?"

 "If the rails were intact, two days. Since there not we need to figure in time for clearing and replacement. I'm WAGing here, but seven to ten days. As for men, fifty with some heavy weapons would be nice."

 "How about four hundred?"

 "Maybe, pack them in like cordwood and ride on the roofs. We can do it. You have that many?"

 "If they all leave. Some of them are resigned to going native."

 "Do you have the transport to get them all there? I can't see moving that many men and supplies on foot all that way."

 "Never you mind about transport. I got a man who owes me a favor."

 "Ed, I know you're listening. Get over here. Get me Emowitz and Leo. Will, we're going to go over this again with them sitting in."

"Not a problem."

Martens performs his song and dance for the Major and Leo. I don't have to ask Emowitz what he thinks. He's nearly bouncing in his seat. Leo gives it more consideration.

"Food. We're bringing in script for it. But we have small outflow from war chest, da? We'll need to part with vehicles to get food for the trip."

"I'm sure someone will want a BMP or OT. I'm keeping the tank. Tank beats everything."

We adjourned. Emowitz to talk with our logistics geeks. Will, Leo and I to go see Rataj. The old man promised me a spring trip. I hope he doesn't mind leaving early.







No comments:

Post a Comment