Tuesday, October 11, 2011

027: Down Time

Ed writes,

August 16th, 2000

It's nice to have a week with no one shooting at us, ripping us off or dicking around.  We've hired a crew to work on the house and tear down a few of the neighboring ones that aren't safe or really block the view.  We get to straw boss rather than sweat.  I like.

Captain's chief spy, Arun, was released from Dr. Krol's care.  She paid well for his treatment and offered him a job with us.  He used to be an accountant type with the roads department here in Poland.  He's taking over a bit of the supply side of things at the house.  He helped the Cap pull together the work crew from folks he knew out in the camps. 

Each of us got some liberty, in a rotation.

Leo brought back a string of fish from the riverside. 
Yummy, wonder how many PCBs we're chomping down.  "And they're good for the compost pile we're starting."  Ugh.

Lleywellan decided to get some hunting in north of Krakow.  He took Doc and Arun with him.  Wanted to see if the new guy still rememberd how to shoot from his mandatory stint back in the day.  They took a boar!  While Doc and A. butchered it he went off on his ownsome for a second try and found a cow.  Like a real cow.  Moo.  Says he walked right up to it and put a rope around the neck.  Milk, it does a body good.  Once it gets back up to weight I'll run the GC past the pail.  Just to be sure.

Donald and I went shopping.  I found a box of guages salvaged off some armored vehicles.  I took the whole box, if I'm lucky half will work.  Luck was with me, there was a CRT and disassembled joystick at the bottom.  I might be able to get the ATGM station functional. 

I also spent some time looking for a souvenier.  I know were getting home and by God I want something unique.  Everybody has an AK or Makarov if they want one.  I got my sights set on one of those Sov. Tommyguns with the wood stock and drum mag.  Now that's cool.  I could hang it over the door and say, "I took that in the war!"  Take it down on the Fourth and run a drum or two through it.  Haven't found one yet, but there's a guy who knows a guy.  We'll see in a few days. 

The techies, that's Leo, Donald and I if you're keeping score, are going to try to repair the BMP tomorrow.  I already told Leo and Donald since neither one has any electronics experience they'll be doing the drivers position.  I get the ATGM panel.  Hope it is just the CRT so I can get it wrapped fast and give the others encouraging advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment