Sunday, October 16, 2011

031: Morning After

"George", August 18th

Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy.  I've got a hammer and a pot full of nine.  Thread and needles and cloth to wrap the broken down MP5s.  A pistol, PM Mak, in my pocket as a just in case.  And a head with secrets.

I'm knocking and inquiring about odd jobs in the early morning hours.  Do you need a pot patched?  Can I darn some socks?  Fix a torn seam?  I take payment in trade or script.  Clever fingered Garin Nowicki is known outside the old town.  Not that it matters, few of the folk have script to trade, but it works me down to the American Block where work hammers are already ringing on the worst of the houses.

Captain Paterson thinks big.  She's taken over an entire block, surveyed the houses and hired local labor.  One team is taking apart the less stable structures while another is using the parts to fence off the back street of the block.  She's saving all the glass she can and made it known she'll pay for large panes.  Some of the more loose lipped in her command have talked about a greenhouse.   If need be, she's ready to stay for the long haul.

Hope whoever inherits the grounds appreciates the work.

I'm challenged before I reach the front door by their techie, little Eddie Cutler.  "I'm looking for work, George told me you're hiring." 

He gives he a closer look, doesn't like what he sees, but motions me forward anyway.  Once close he speaks quietly, "Man, didn't we see enough of you last night.  What do you want?"

"I've got a delivery for your captain and information she'll need to take into your planning.  You letting me in."

He indicates I'm to go before him and follows closely calling for Captain Paterson as soon as the door is closed.  We follow her answer to the dining area where she's breaking fast with Doctor Miller and Lance Corporal Chillson.  She's sitting in fatigue pants and a muscle shirt.  I can see the bruises running across her arms and face.  They have the faded look of days old damage, not 8 hours old.  Strange.

I set the bag on the table. "I've got a pair of MP5SD3 SMGs broken down in here.  They have a built in suppression system that's better than anything you're going to find in Krakow.  I also have 4 silencers and adapter kits for the M9 pistol.  You'll have to provide those yourself.  If I can have a seat I'll let you know what the future plans are."

She nods and points to a chair.  "Chillson, look over the hardware."

"Captain, before I begin, do you want this to be a private conversation?"

"No, George, we're a small team.  We all have need to know on this."

"Very good,"  I say with a smile.  "I'll begin with some covert actions last night.  Seems a group of Americans hijacked a OT-64 and were observed loading a very heavy footlocker into it by a survivor of the patrol.  The OT was logged as crossing the Vistula by the western bridge checkpoint after presenting paperwork indicating they were conducting a sweep of the south side of the river.  Needless to say, the OT and crew did not return to Krakow.  With any luck the competition is going to chase that down.  Still, you should keep a close eye out for them as they may decide you still know something or were of assistance to the Americans who left.  The bit with Koko and the watch on your block was an inspired bit of luck.  You're clear with the ORMO."

"Now, regarding our future plans for the item, if it should be recovered.  There are three methods we can use to get the it back to friendly territory:
1.  Krakow has a functional helicopter and a sizable cache of aviation fuel.  A large enough team could capture the Wawel, hold off counterattack long enough for the aircraft to be prepped for flight.  The Mi-17 helicopter could transport up to 24 from here to eastern Germany.  This is our fastest and maybe safest option.  We do have access to a pilot, no worries.
2.  Our second option involves an old man and a river trip.  Adam Rataj has discovered his son and family are still alive in Warsaw.  He attempted to reach them by sailing down the Vistula.  He lost a tugboat and nearly lost his life after being attacked on the river.  The old man still has a boat and barge, but he can't get the Rada to support him in another attempt to get to Warsaw.  He's been so persistent they've banned him from the building!  He's looking for mercenaries to protect him on a trip to Warsaw and back.  Instead, he'll be making his trip to Warsaw and you'll take that tug all the may to the mouth of the Vistula.  If the boat's seaworthy, then you can hug the coast to Germany.  If not you'll have the opportunity to trade it for one that is or steal one if needed. 
3.  The bad option.  We stock you up with food, fuel and an extra OT-64.  You travel back through the Margrave's lands and try to overland it to friendly lines.  Intel indicates the front has dissolved into chaos which means even with uniforms and orders you're as likely to get killed by Reds as by friendly fire. 

"In all the cases, the more men you have under your command, the better your odds of punching through.  The camp is where you'll find your troops.  I wouldn't give much for anyone whose been a prisoner for all this time, but the convoy we know is heading in from Lodz will contain veterans from the 5th ID.  Those are them men you'll need to pull this off."

"So, I've got all day.  What questions do you need answered?"

6 comments:

  1. "Well George, option one is not a good option. We don't want to be poisoning this ground for all other Americans for the duration. Further, I am not at all sure we can take the helicopter and get our load on and get gone before we get killed. I strongly suspect they would be more than willing to shoot down the 'copter rather than let it be stolen. Option two and three look a lot more plausible to me.
    I agree with you about the need for more men. The longer term POWs are going to need to come back to Krakow or near here and have me set them up. It will look very plausible for me to be doing this and give us a good chance to move unobserved loads out. One possible place is this forest park North of Krakow that has some decent sized buildings. I suspect you know of some even better places. I want to place them here if I can, but they will need to be able to claim some very marketable skills for me to be able to pull that off."
    Captain Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Taking the Wawel is a requirement for taking the helicopter. That should give us Josefmaly and Zygmund as security for the 'copters departure. They could then be traded for the safe extraction of the remainder of the strike force."

    "I wish you weren't right, but it would 'poison the well' for other westerners in Krakow. My superiors are convinced it is our best option for getting it back to friendly lines and hang the consequences. Perhaps once they can hang faces on 'consequences' they'll change their minds."

    "As for settling the men for recovery and retraining, pick a village. Close to Krakow they're mostly inhabited. The further north or west you go, the emptier it gets. Lots of places with nobody home anymore."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So Cap, when were you going to tell us that you had this all planned out with George? I was willing to sell your ass out for a one-way trip back to Mud Fork."

    "Awyways, I think the barge is our best option. We can probably fit a whole mess of grunts and even the OT on that thing, plus it'll look a lot less conspicuous than a chopper buzzin across the heads of the whole damn Red Army. It'll be slower fer sure. But, if our particular mode of conveyance gets blowed up, I can swim a damn sight better than I can fly!"

    -Lew

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm liking the barge pretty a lot at the moment. I don't want to commit to a plan until after we rescue the POWs. No, I haven't got it all planned out with George. I've been thinking we would probably be spending the winter here before we saw a good chance open up, if not the work isn't wasted as a lot of the locals now are convinced we are staying for a long time. Taking the Wawel is a suicidal notion in my opinion, I'm not going to risk my troops that way.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm not asking you to commit to any plans. I'm laying out the options we've developed for after the box's recovery. But from what Lew's saying, I think that's been accomplished,yes?"

    "There's something alse you may want to consider. And I'm not trying to be confrontational, but depending on who's being held or transported to the camp, they might not be 'your troops' anymore. And they might be a bit more eager to catch a seat on the last flight out."

    ReplyDelete
  6. If we are to be cold about the chances, the helicopter will hold how many and what do we think the box would do to lift and management. The odds of catastrophic failure would be pretty great and we would have convinced all the locals that American troops are evil and not to be trusted. If we wanted to make a large noise by sending a large piece of furniture on the barge while we traveled through with a smaller group that might increase our chances but I do not believe this is a good option.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete